Thursday, 5 May 2016

MAN CITY CONTACTED JUVENTUS FOR POGBA LAST YEAR - MAROTTA

MAN CITY CONTACTED
JUVENTUS FOR POGBA LAST
YEAR - MAROTTA
By Peter McVitie

The Serie A club's director admitted that the
English side have shown an interest in the
midfielder, but stresses they hope to hold
onto him for several more years
Juventus director Giuseppe Marotta has
revealed that Manchester City approached
the Serie A champions for Paul Pogba last
year, but maintains the club want to hold
onto the midfielder for years to come.
The France international remains one of the
most sought after players in the world, with
Juve having rejected a bid from Barcelona
before the 2015-16 campaign while Real
Madrid and Paris Saint-Germain are
continually linked to him.
Marotta says that the former Manchester
United midfielder has been the subject of
interest from City too, but says that this is
still not the time for the Bianconeri to sell
the 23-year-old.
"Manchester City asked us for Paul Pogba
last year," he said. "Along with Paulo Dybala,
Pogba is one of the most popular players.
"It's not yet time to sell Pogba, he is not on
the transfer market. We want to keep it very
tight, he is just 23 and he is in a position
to stay with us for many years."
READ MORE | Morata muscle tear
ruled out
Juve attacker Alvaro Morata has also been
linked to a move away from Turin ahead of
the upcoming transfer window, with Real
Madrid reportedly open to activating the buy-
back clause they have for him, but the
director insists the club see him as a key
player.
"Real Madrid president Florentino Perez is a
great leader, we have an excellent
relationship with the club," he added.
"I think that within three weeks we will reach
a decision over his future. Morata is an
important player, and he will cost a lot of
money."
After guiding the club to his second Serie A
title and their fourth in a row, Massimiliano
Allegri is expected to sign a new contract
with Juve.
While nothing has been confirmed, Marotta
has reiterated that it is only a matter of time
before the deal is sealed.
"Allegri's renewal is only a formality, to the
great satisfaction of both parties. We are
going to extend his contract at least one
year, compared to June 2017. The
relationship with Allegri is great. We never
had the suspicion that he could leave."